Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stuart Little


As I mentioned before I went to Oregon we have house guests who are not really welcome. I tried two types of "humane mousetraps" and bagged 0. Neither dog seems too interested when they make intriguing noises along the baseboards. The mice seem not to mind our sharing digs with them. In fact I was typing away this afternoon and one peeked around the computer screen. We looked each other over for awhile. This is bad for me because they are kind of cute little critters. The D-Con came out but they seem to know something is fishy. The trick is to find the corpses before Honey does.

Lori, in perfect dog psychology terms, tried on Juneau's Halloween costume. He wanted one too. He seems quite proud of it now. Two poses below-one with a big grin and another in character as a little devil. I see two little devils.

Jason called and we had a good gab catching up on each other's adventures. They loved Nova Scotia, New England, Lexington, Concord, Boston and Martha's Vineyard. There was quite a bit of history in the on-shore tours as well as sights and sites to see. The charter boat business deal has been put in abeyance until the economy settles. I have told you before they are smart. Matt arrives from Oregon tomorrow. He will take a Tony Robbins seminar in Orlando-the brothers and Lori will visit on either end of that.

I have paid for my neglect of the Lotrel BP meds. Joints were very achy in the morning and the water loss has been pretty amazing. Doubly amazing because I did continue to take my aspirin and diuretic all the while. But not so bad all in all. I felt well enough and tricked myself into a Sunday drive. Mailed some pictures to Eve, and delivered the first installment of Delores' birthday present: it seems to have grown over time and I needed to get rid of it while the sack was big enough. ( I gave the second installment before I left- anonymous Whitman Sampler) Delores and Don were doing yard work.

She caught me up on who's croaked. This is a more and more common topic of conversation for us. Two pioneer pillars of the community-real characters. Martha reputedly ran the local cathouse for quite awhile but as her wealth and legitimate enterprises grew, the legend changed. She broke her hip a couple of weeks ago and as is often the case, that was the beginning of the end. Sam, a staunch conservative and Catholic died this week. He was wealthy and did right by his kids- setting them up in businesses. He recently remarried Natalie who was wife number two or three. He divorced her for a younger number which was more or less a business deal. She left with $250,000 for a few years. He was reportedly repentant to Natalie. How he found two women (that I know about) who would administer a daily enema is beyond me! I am almost tempted to attend the High Mass but I am afraid of lightning. Dead Sam and live me in a Catholic Church just seems like a bad idea.