Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cold Start

Pretty bitter this morning but in the 60's at 6:oo p.m. The cold kept me in-but not the dogs. Then when it warmed up, lizard-like, I emerged to do chores. I tried out my Humana
Part D drug insurance and it did save me a bundle at the pharmacy though I have to add the premium to that. I got the new 2009 plan in the mail and it has doubled; co-pays have more than doubled. It really is a dodgy system. Now I have to review 48 plans to see if I have the best one and decide before January. This is an annual event for all of us.

Rich did call about 2:00 p.m. He is fine, no stent. His Nuclear stress test had shown a fuzzy result which caused this invasive $10,000.00 catheterization procedure. He will have the hip replacement November 21, 2008. Is that the day before Thanksgiving?

Bought more soup stuff -I am expanding my repertoire in the soup department. I'll let you know how it goes. I have seemed ravenous this past month. I don't need any more weight.

I ran into Harold in Wal-Mart. He was my head custodian at RHS. He had been the foreman of the outfit that built it and was a great (if a little cranky) head custodian. He retired the same year I did but he hated retirement and took a job working at the school's swimming pool. This fall he suddenly was not there greatly disappointing Delores and Ruby. I congratulated him on his retirement. He said, "There was more to it than that!" He looks great. He was always a little bit 'Tut, tut," about the younger generation so I was a little surprised by the pretty sizeable diamond solitaire in his left earlobe, and the neat little beard and moustache. He said he had always wanted to do that. We had an enjoyable discussion of the "retirees epiphany": The "screw you, I don't have to take anything from anybody anymore" moment. It really is liberating.