Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Aimless Day

Still feeling about a quart low but there are pleasures even in an aimless day. Honey needs reassurance after her "nights out" She does not want to come in and eventually I have to shut the door. Then she feels shut out. She shows her feelings are hurt and stands off. So we have a good rub and lovey and a game or two. Then she is my buddy again-and kind of clingy.

I talked to Rich later on last night. He will have a heart catheterization tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. I have gone-with on all his other hospital procedures-: heart cath, two lithotripsies (you don't want to know-trust me). Val is great in the medical field and knows most of the hospital staff so she will be the best person to go but I will fret until I hear. He may get a stent which will then have a bearing on whether he gets a hip replacement and when. I would like for him to be on an even keel before I go south.

Sunny but a bit chilly: made for nice deck sitting. The season changes the view-endlessly entertaining. Honey tried to sidle up on some geese but gave up before they gave flight. I see where one of the freebies that Senator Stevens got convicted for was a wraparound porch. I think I would like one of those-maybe a three quarter wraparound porch. Florida may not always be "do-able." A nice solar/sun porch would be a very nice thing to have on the south side and an encloseable deck on the north side would be great. Food for thought.

Rich just called. I think he is having a little anxiety too. I extracted a promise to call for what that is worth. If he gets a stent he will be in the hospital for 23 hours-so it is still an out patient procedure. Games! He exercises every day of his life and has never smoked a cigarette. Why him? Judge Hall says exercise is just additional wear and tear. He is in his 70's so he may have something- rail thin, smokes and drinks. Oh well...probably worrying is the cause of early demise. And after watching Rasty's mind depart before his body reminds that there are worse things than blowing a gasket. Charlie Rose is dealing with these very issues right now on PBS. Apparently my waistline is going to become a matter of national importance.

I was a hero to the dogs. Bought and cooked a pound of liver. Made their day! I liked it too. $1.48 worth of fun. Natter, natter, natter....