Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Sunday Stew

After getting up about 6:00 a.m. Doggy Standard Time, I eventually returned for a snooze until 9:15 after realizing that daylight saving time is finito for 2008. It was salutary for I have not been feeling the rosiest. Once upright I tried to make the most of the fine day. Lordy it has been nice for early November. It lulls me and I have to conjure up visions of doing what I need to do to button up things here and get ready to roll southward with 10 inches of snow on the ground and gale winds, in order to urge myself on. It works. I got quite a little done. I have cars to service, Dr. appointments, vet appointments, stuff and such, that need to be done before the 22nd to 24th of the month-a scant three weeks.

I had "a moment" or two. My mother and I both enjoyed reading and reading mysteries was a particular pleasure. She gave me Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine every Christmas for forever. After she passed 10 years ago or so (I still celebrate her and dad's birthdays but death days escape me) I discovered she had my subscription to Ellery Queen paid up until 2009! So I have received a monthly love note from my mom for all this time. There are still some issues left so I will regard the messages as dilute but still from her. I hate the fading. I also hate that I spent some time pondering whether I should re-up for the one year or the two year term and might the latter result in a waste of money. I am pretty sure I am good for it but the very fact the idea even crossed my mind was kind of a bummer.

I also re-upped The Sun, a magazine Eve gave me a couple of years ago. It was a premium from her NPR station and it really does have excellent writing by people you have never heard of. There are some convicts, budding authors, old people and regular people. They publish issues along certain themes that are announced well in advance. If you want to write for it you can give it a shot. All the writing is pretty intense. Heartfelt and personal, sometimes spiritual but never churchy, real people, real life. I have really enjoyed it.

I also looked at Television sets. I don't watch much but I do value it at times. I have about six of them between here and Florida. Converter boxes? New TV's? All present sets will be defunct in February. I am leaning toward a flat portable 15 inch Phillips. It is about the size of a large screen laptop. It could go-with easily. More research and awaiting the sales. I have a feeling there are going to be some bargains this Christmas season.