Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I have to admit I wept a little-twice

I wept twice last night and was thrilled and amazed and thoughtful. I wept the first time when John Mc Cain conceded. He was gracious, large-hearted, statesmanlike, and had I seen more of that in the last several months, I might have voted different. The second time was at the Grant Park Celebration and speech. I feel like I got my country back-not mean dumb, greedy any more, but generous -hearted, hopeful and fair. I think the righties and lefties are going to be surprised how centrist Obama turns out. I wrote to the campaign some time ago when Obama endorsed the use of federal money to have churches do social service programs. I am staunch about separation of church and state. I told them it was a deal-breaker for me. They said sorry but we believe in it. Honest and definitely not leftish. But what was I to do? There was 72 year old McCain with Cliche' Palin just waiting for him to croak. You betcha. Not that I didn't vote enthusiastically. I felt the country overcame itself- rose above this kind of crap:

One thing I was thoughful about is that this takes away the 'downtrodden" excuse. Obama didn't come up in easy circumstances. The message to minorities is clear. Get off your butt and get after it. It is not skin color holding you back any more. I also was thoughtful about the close-eyed redneck mentality that I know is out there. I hope the Secret Service is up to the job. And the tasks Obama is faced with are daunting. How much success can he have with no money to work with? George Bush was so eager to invite him to the Whitehouse that I really wonder if he isn't ready to just go home to Texas. I hope Bush didn't start out to make such a mess and become the least popular President in history. If he didn't seem so oblivious I would give him credit for having the courage to just get up in the morning.

Anyway we have a fresh start. There is hope in that.
Posted by Picasa