Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Brrrr

It is getting cold these nights- days are not too bad. My bottled water on the porch is "solid state." I need to follow the geese soon because the cold makes me hurt and I am going to go this week sometime. A lot of things need to come together: checks need to arrive ( I had a legit debate about ordering them because I am all electronic and write about six checks per year- turned out I am so valued a patron they were FREE), a birthday present for my number two son needs to arrive. (December 4 he will turn the big 40), a camera will arrive from Amazon for me (yes, I have a lot of cameras-this is the extension of one of my faves. I have a Canon S2 IS- this is a Canon S10 IS- 20X zoom, with movie capability, 10 megapixel. Amazon's price was just slightly more than a good point and shoot. I can feel virtuous about not getting Canon S3,S4, S5...), then there is the regular stuff that needs to get done. I will fill on gas sparingly here. Rich says it is $1.45 per gallon in Casper. What that really means is the recession is about a year from Wyoming: energy prices down, Wyoming suffers. Energy prices up, the country suffers, Wyoming prospers.

Called Rich bright and early yesterday, Val answered and Rich was enjoying his breakfast and sounded quite chipper. Last night he said he had spiked a fever and they have him on 3 courses of antibiotics but are planning on getting him out of there today. His hip ball is purple. He has had so many visitors, he may have to go home to get rest, he told me last night. I will probably exit Wyoming via Casper so I can see for myself.

I went looking for Ace bandages for dogs and came home with several items. I got out my scissors and adapted a human thumb brace with a metal stay in it and it seemed to work pretty well. I will take Buster and brace to the vet to see where the support would be best. He doesn't seem to mind it and he was supporting himself on it. My sense is his joint is like a sprain-it doesn't hurt constantly but if he puts weight on it it goes all wobbly and hurts. I want to save the leg more than the vet does. But I don't want him suffering either. I'll carry him around on a pillow if necessary. He tells me every day who is responsible for his original injury. He goes ballistic. Karmic law seems to be working out just fine, though.

This computer was acting a little hinky yesterday. I ran a checkdisk on it that took hours. It seems OK today.

Bon says her colonoscopy was a "peak experience." We will see. I am still less than sanguine about it. I do appreciate the specific and general information she uses to allay my fears and encourage me.