Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

re-Tired

Four new Cooper Van tires-6 ply this time because I am loaded, adorn the Turnpike Van. It goes down the road straighter. I had it serviced-non Jiffy Lube this time, and had some things checked. As I was parting with the cash, Scott said the front brakes need attention stat! That is on the list today.

I wish I could "get up" for the drive. I am having some trouble getting excited about the trip. The best I can come up with is following the old Lincoln Highway- Route 30 for awhile. I would depart it when it starts to go north in Nebraska-I am headed south. As it has been replaced by I-80 in long stretches, it really is less than a thrilling concept. I could go 'By Gosh and by Garmin" and just pick cities and go there. My main principles: no St. Louis, no Atlanta, no Dallas, no Denver, still apply. The weather may dictate it all. Or a whim.

Richard and I do share the "Please Mother! I'd rather do it myself!" gene. He called last night as he was gathering for his hip surgery recuperation- a stool for the shower, he has purchased a recliner that elevates to get him standing, he has a couple of other stools. He will have a 6-8 week recuperation. He is planning on working from home. He has been practicing with the crutches. He's beyond anxiety to resignation:"Just get it over with." Tomorrow is the big day. I feel kind of like a rat for taking off but he has grown kids, his wife, and numerous friends at his beck and call, if he will only call.