Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Things of the Heart

A Wyoming Sunset on November 16, 2008

The Honey-bear watching the sunset with me
Casper Life Flight settling in at Riverton Memorial Hospital. We locals joke, with a point, that Riverton Memorial's mortality statistics have improved ever-so-much since Life Flight can come to take the sick ones away. I was there for an EKG (ECG)-part of my Welcome to Medicare Extravaganza. All this is pushing me closer to "having the talk" with my doctor. I am not opposed to tweaking some things, taking a pill or six, but I am also not opposed to shuffling off the planet with my dignity more or less intact. I have had a great ride and would be happy to continue to have a good time indefinitely as long as it is a good time. I've been a good sport about a lot of things and deserve to "have it my way," in my opinion, which is the only one that counts.

I stopped in at Riverton Tire and Oil for a second opinion on my tires. I am pretty sure they will get me to Florida but I am not sure they will get me back home. I'd just as soon spend my money here with a trusted vendor. Scott agreed with me. (These are the people who have declined to charge me several times for minor fixes.) The tires will also fit the white van so I will take them home. They want to charge a disposal fee and in Riverton,WY they will end up being sold on the rez or recapped and sold for a bundle. I will have to ditch the dogs.

The echo chamber: Rich called me in a panic. He had it on very good good authority (from a stockbroker friend) that the only way out of the financial meltdown is for us all to go to a worldwide currency that is de-valued from the currently devalued dollar. Are we better off with cash or stock, or gold? Well, Henny Penny, sez I...I will make a record of it but Nouriel Roubini hasn't mentioned a word and since his track record is about 98% , I am not going to lose sleep. In any case we will all be in the same boat. Too bad we have to go through this.
Posted by Picasa