Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Goose, Goose

The hardier geese are still stopping by on their way south. They have taught Honey that pursuit is fruitless so they are mostly unmolested these days. But speaking of being molested and goosed, the final portion of the Welcome to Medicare Extravaganza is to take place Tuesday. The RMH Department of the Interior will blow smoke up my ass and take 8X10 glossies of my colon. It was nip and tuck all morning as I was trying to decide if I should bolt or go through with it. Take good pictures because it is the last chance you are going to get. The outpatient nurse said my job Tuesday afternoon is to expel the injected gas whether alone or in company. I told her
I came from a long line of people proud of their abilities along that line. The ignominy of it all still rankles. Perhaps I will augment my wardrobe with a paper bag for my head. But I am committed now.

I took Buster to the Vet. His leg is still turning outward and we reviewed the X-Rays. The plate is clearly broken. We discussed options and all decided to think about it. Amputation, bracing, trying to back a screw out the plate where it is broken, etc. On the way home I was wondering if an Ace bandage would work. I will get one this weekend and try it out. He trusts me and would likely let me put it on and take it off everyday.

Richie called while I was at the Vets and said in his very own words he was out of surgery. I was so relieved. When we talked last night he told me Valerie had sailed through a red light and creamed another car. The driver of that car had to go to the hospital to be checked out. Val got tossed around pretty badly and the Subaru is likely totalled. Kind of made him wonder if the time was auspicious for a surgery but he too soldiered on.

I had the best time at Riverton Tire and Oil yesterday in spite of the fact that the brake rotors had to be replaced-$400.oo total. Yikes! Everybody was just so kind- opening doors for ladies, "please and thank you." One waiter came outside where I was reading my Kindle and smoking in the sunshine and we had a good old chat. Her husband came looking for her. Her car had been ready for awhile and we just were visiting away. Paula stopped by for a minute. A girl who works at the service desk is a reader and we visited during the tire episode and this time. Turns out she is also a writer-as yet unpublished. I brought home some recommended book titles and was interested that she thought the post nuclear apocalyptic novel Alas, Babylon, was one the best she had read. Visited with the owner and we reminisced about his dad, talked the financial mess- he pulled his money from the stock market just before it went up again so he was kind of glad it went down again.

Lori called today and we had two conversations as I was headed to the doc the first time. It was so good to visit. They had loaded up the dog and headed for Texas. They got to Tallahassee, FL the first day and Jason mentioned the next day's trip would be 13 hours and Lori said, let's go home!

Posted by Picasa