Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Winding Down in Oregon

This was a busy day . I had shopping to do -the kids' digital camera had been dunked, hit, and abused to death. I have ulterior motives in keeping them in cameras: getting pictures. So I endured the apathy at Circuit City and got them a Canon A-720. (with an extended warranty that covers all events) I tried twice to buy gas at Safeway and succeeded the second time. With my club card it reduced the price to $2.94. Oregon has no self-service-a scheme to keep the inept gainfully employed-it still took me 30 minutes to buy gas.

I did a load of laundry at Eve's, rehung her window screen, fixed the hose outlet. Ibought trip provisions, had lunch with Matt-an Avocado Swiss Burger at Eddie's Hamburger Stand.

When I got back to Matt's he was hauling wood from a neighbor's tree to his woodpile. He had fertilized the lawn and strewn grass seed in lots of spots. He is a householder.

I offered to buy our farewell dinner but Matt wanted to cook and did a superb job with grilled pork loin in Jamaican Lime Jerk Sauce, new finger potatoes with rosemary,
and broccoli.

Audrey had not had a good day at school-she got bitten. She was ready for a little rest when she got home but she ate enthusiastically. We sat next to each other and she quite spontaneously gave her Grampie some hugs. That justified the whole trip.

After dinner she was engrossed with her Play-Doh and needed help flattening it out. The big blue patch is my work, Ahem. It was fascinating to watch her work. I have to remind myself she is only 2 and a half because she is very capable. After awhile she wanted her daddy to help her. He was rolling the Play Doh. Then she announced to me she was smashing her daddy's balls. Matthew nearly wet himself laughing.

Hugs all around- I went back to Eve's to say goodbye and retrieve my socks and underpants which I had washed and bagged but forgot. New undies, too, or I would have told her to toss them.

It has been a great visit.
Posted by Picasa