Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Picaresque Day




















A day in which your narrator spontaneously goes to the beach, falls in the Pacific Ocean, and has Thanksgiving Dinner on October 21st 2007: At 8:30 a.m. Lori calls. "How about a drive to the coast?" Sounds good to me. I gather Dutch Bros. lattes, and head for Eve's. I opt to drive my van with dog and to spare the others the aroma of cigarette smoke (or me walking home). They go to collect Audrey and give Cheryl a free Sunday. Not having planned on a drive, I had taken my overdue diuretic. I was getting about thirty miles to a pint until noon. Told them to scurry on and we would connect via cell phone near Crescent City. They didn't have to put up with my fumes but Audrey barfed so they had fumes all right. Lori looked a little pale. We met at BatteryLighthouse Point. I was following Jason across a spit when I fell in a tidal pool. Soaked to the knees, and my camera was a little worse for the wear until we fixed it.

Audrey was wired after being cooped in the car and when the Historical Society Lady showed us the old Lighthouse Keeper's Book, Audrey started to tell one and all about when she was in her mommy's belly. The lady kept looking from Eve to Lori- whose belly?" The lighthouse was built in 1858, the keeper told us as Audrey annoyed the cat and proceeded to take her shoes off.

The ocean was vast, the redwoods majestic, the leaves brilliant, the cascading water thrilling.

Matthew, after having worked all day, deep fried a turkey and fixed sweet potatoes and creamed green beans, Cheryl made canapes, a great salad and set a beautiful table. Audrey rolled the crescent rolls. We had hard cider and fine wine. Buster had some turkey too and was good as gold although a little wary of Audrey (and everybody else). This meal was so fine-outstanding, and we toasted our Thanksgiving at being together. It was a brilliant end to an adventure filled day.

I said goodbye to Tucker's remains. He was remembered in words and deeds and photographs-as all good dogs should be. Thankful for his presence too.

Click the thumbnail picture or title below for more pictures.




Posted by Picasa



A Day at the Beach- Crescent City