Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Going Ethnic with the Finns!

Big Party today in spaces 254 and 255. Ron came over this morning and invited me to the party they were having for Leila's (pr. Lay-La) family. I helped with tables and chairs and sundry and Ron scooted around and got fixings-scallops and shrimp and filets and veggies. Most of these people hail from Minnesota but have been coming to Florida for years- own condos in the area and are particularly concentrated amongst a group of other Finns. Grandma speaks not a word of English so there was considerable translating and jokes told twice. A congenial group of older ethnic people. Very warm and nice people who currently hail from Brooklyn to San Francisco. At times I felt I was in one of my favorite movies Antonia's Line. Ron and Leila worked their fannies off and were rewarded with a great success. The elders felt honored. He and Leila are a couple but not married-yet, he is hopeful. We three visited for awhile after the others left. Everybody has a story and I like to hear them. Great fun and more pictures at the Web Album.

Click here: http://picasaweb.google.com/sroberts.wyoming

Posted by Picasa