Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Underpants!

I've bought underwear for my kids and underwear for my former wife. But I have never received underpants from a 75 year old cowboy...until now. Brokeback Mountain is just opening in theaters but maybe the fever is running through the Valley of the Little Wind River! Rasty's wife Susie insisted on a Florida mailing address because Rasty was sure I would need this Christmas present in Florida. They are fetching- black Joe Boxers with frogs and trumpets and "Horny Toad" emblazoned on them. They took me back to childhood Christmases when we kids would be in a fever to open a package and my mother would let us open the present from her mother-usually socks, underpants or pajamas. She was a cruel mother. (not really)

But I really think this year's undies from Rasty were a running joke on the unfortunate incident of last Christmas: Cold Wyoming morning and a Christmas party the night before found me sitting in my living room with my Santa Claus hat on and in my underwear, enjoying a cup of coffee. All of a sudden there arose such a clatter; somebody named Rasty had barged in with greetings and I in a state of undress bolted for the bedroom and trousers. Unfortunately my poor dog Goody was in the path and I fell over her. So what Rasty saw was the south end of me on all fours over the dog struggling to get up and wearing underwear and a Santa hat. There is a Wyoming expression that covers this picture but it is not how I celebrate Christmas or any other occasion. I was not very gracious as I recall. But I was quick-witted enough to start calling the neighbors with the "real story" before the rumors got out of control.

So now I have a "formal set" of undies I shall wear only on cold Christmas mornings in Wyoming which considering my new-found alternative, just may be never. You will just have to imagine, Rasty.