Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Fireworks on New Year's Eve are a big thing down here. Of course folks can be outside to watch them without freezing something off. Weather in Wyoming is pretty balmy for the season from what I hear, though. The doggies are only in mild anxiety so far-have both TV's blaring and the fans on to mask the sound. Four new neighbors today- just for awhile I think- all Floridians and all English speaking. The Canuckians are enjoying a fire and a few laughs. If they were teenagers they would be run in- they seem to cluster in the street or somewhere nearly every night and chit-chat and make quite a bit of noise like we did at a certain age except these folks are, as the French say, "a certain age."

Cousin Donna called last night and we had a good long chat. She enjoyed her sojourn in Palm Springs and rented a car to come home stopping off to see one of her eccentric friends on the way back. We are alike in that we enjoy collecting characters in our lives. Told her of some of the music I ordered with a gift card from Barnes and Noble. "American Pie" being one of the ordered ones. She knows the keyboard artist on that song and in fact he was raised by her uncle-unbeknownst to both until they met in Nashville. He gave her lot of pointers when she was touring singing Country music in lounges. (Not a tall tale- I have a CD and it is on my iPod.)

What a beautiful day here. Just about perfect weather. I commenced my on-line training to become a Collector for the Drug Testing business. Don't know that I will ever collect a sample but I will be more knowledgeable about what our staff does or should do. I have a manual from the on-site training so I sat outside under my awning and gave it a read-through.

The new guy next door is a retired flight controller for the FAA. They have two boxer dogs, one old and cranky and the other as sweet and friendly as can be. So far wifey seems to take after the old dog. Actually the guy does too but he is funny, acerbic. His coach is two months out of warranty and he is nervous. (As he should be).

Cooked Spaghetti for we three tonight. Dry runs for entertaining- some spices not on hand-improvisations, and lists are made. Jason and Lori are frantically packing boxes with an eye to what they are going to need to access because a kitchen is not going to be done and they will have the guest bathroom only. Will scoot down to help Jason install a closet organizing kit tomorrow.

We will see how the Jeep performs. Darn near ran out of gas yesterday. I had been carefully observing the temperature gauge instead of the gas gauge. Consequently I was chugging and the clutch seemed to be failing to disengage. Took it for a spin around the park this afternoon and it did fine. The large tires are no boon at 10 miles per hour-just about lugging out speed.

Spent New Year here about as I usually do- good dinner, reflections on the past and the future. Great memories and a good attitude.