Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Full Circle

Sunday I met Jason at the new house to assist in the installation of a closet organizer. When the kids would come to visit in Arapahoe there was always a project or two- usually involving particle board because it was what I could afford. Particle board became a running joke. Neither boy is afraid to DIY. I thought it was cool that we have come full circle- the old man doing what they used to do for me. They are, of course, on a better budget than I ever had and they bring their own vision and perspective to the projects. As I recall they were better help than I am too. Reaching the floor did not involve a frightening cacophony of vertebrae and joints popping and they had/have more energy. But we "got er dun." Looks pretty good and it should not collapse.

Luxury must be an easily acquired taste. I almost feel sorry that they didn't have the fun of orange crate furniture and second-hand treasures. The path to quality used to be a longer one than it is today. Circumstances and priorities had me taking the road less traveled (or is it the other way around?) and I find myself pretty content with "good enough." Often reflected that my education accustomed me to be happy in sub-standard housing. Certainly didn't laugh less or miss out on the important parts of being human for not going in high style. But it is nice to see what is important to different persons and appreciate their points of view. As my mother used to quote:'"To each their own." said the farmer as he kissed the cow.'

The "on again, off again" nature of the air conditioning war continues. Have read and re-read the manual, and pronounced the unit dead twice only to find the coach pleasantly cool on my return to the doggies. Seems to be working fine now if idiosyncratically. Setting it 7 degrees cooler than desired seems to make it go better.