Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Spring Planting

Planted 56 Petunias and Begonias around my trees today. An allergy or virus has had me coughing and dripping and night sweating and I thought a good sweat in the sunshine might help. It seems to have helped some. Selected a red, white and blue theme as I am a castaway in the French Quarter. Very sandy soil here but it seems to support vegetation. Plant food in each hole. Lots of pigweed went in the dumpster. Ordered a pizza in tonight as I had forgotten to eat all day and was not inspired by my choices: hamburger or hamburger. We have been eating well and I have cooked most days but the refrigerator is small and needs defrosting due to the humidity so the choices are getting down there. Publix is a supermarket chain that does wonderful merchandising- cut fruit is irresistible. But man the prices on staples! Ninety cents for a can of kidney beans. Will split my business between Wally World and Publix or Winn-Dixie. There is a good little Winn-Dixie up on Military Trail- a pretty good drive but worth the trip. I will scout out the Albertson's. Lack of space makes shopping more often necessary.

Got the payroll out and sent Monday. Devised and sent some promotional materials for the Methamphetamine Conference in Casper.

Spent a lot of the day removing old maps and putting new maps on the Garmin. This is time consuming. I needed to re-jigger some maps because I have ended up going places I didn't think I would go. Interstates 94 through 10 are covered and California to West Virginia are covered and I have some memory space to play with. I am now able to navigate many places around here without it but it always goes along with me. I hate being lost and there are no mountains to navigate by: will eventually run into an ocean but which one? I have a goal to photograph the sunrise over the Atlantic in the morning and the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico in the evening of the same day. Trivial I know but I want to do it.

Watched an advertising airplane fish for his sign- got it on the third try. They swoop down and catch it with a hook.

Built a little porch for the coach. I used some scrap plywood from Jason's remodel job and some plastic storage tubs. After pricing lumber at Home Depot and knowing everything must do double duty in a camper, this seemed a good compromise. The Goodster figured it out right away and is now navigating on her own. We both have regained some dignity.