Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Texas in my Rearview Mirror

Under drizzly skies we made our way from Midland to a Flying J. We spent a night cozy in our house with raindrops falling on the roof. We awoke to find a Maroon truck had parked right in front of us. I spoke to the cashier and she paged but said that it was likely an oil field worker and they are frequently gone two or three days. Nothing for it but to unhitch and back out and re-hitch. Good new is we are getting this down pat-15 minutes or less. If you run across any medical journals with articles about a Texas Oilfield worker with inexplicable scrofulous nether parts, you will know my cursing power still works. The gray had turned to blue though and we had a very pleasant drive under blue skies and warm sunshine. This was more like it!

Abilene has skyscrapers! The romance is gone. I gave it a pass. There is probably something fishy about that "young cowboy all dressed in white linen" on the streets of Laredo, too.

We drove through what I believe they call Texas Hill Country. We saw goat farms, and cotton fields, and horse farms, and exotic cattle ranches; Brangus, Longhorn, and other crossbreeds. The Dallas, Fort Worth megalopolis begins gradually thirty or forty miles from the cities. I had driven through downtown Dallas in 1999 just after church on another Sunday. It was not obvious to me that those drivers were filled with love for their fellow man so I wanted to give it a wide berth. The Garmin safely led me through on I- 20. It had originally wanted to route me via I-30 so I tried to trick it by selecting Duncanville as a "via point. I magine my surprise when I found myself in downtown Duncanville. It is a pleasant small town and I made a stop at an automotive shop and the bank.

East Texas is really very scenic and it seems that it is not too far to the Lousiana border. The miles rolled by and we found ourselves at the grandaddy of all stops in Shreveport. The WalMart abuts a Nicky's Cantina and a Cracker Barrel but we were very virtuous and nibbled our leftovers and watched other campers roll in to keep us company.