Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

At the Bosque de la Apache Wildlife Refuge clicking away

This was a short driving day. Spent some more cash with the friendly Campground host, Mr. Mart, stocking up on some staples including a case of diet soda. It just fit on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, which I wasn't sure it would do. Once in, it seemed smart to just remove the plastic shrink wrap with a butcher knife, for which I was rewarded with a phooosh... and a spray of diet soda. After cleaning up that mess we started out on the 69 mile trip to the campground. Must have not quite latched the refrigerator door because it was swinging, the eggs on the top shelf. When we went up a hill, the door would close, when we came down a hill, the door would swing open. Up and down, close and open, for 10 miles until we found a place to turn off and fix the darn thing.

As this is the maiden voyage of the "Fair Elante" in warmer climes- there have been several "firsts." The leveling jacks work fine. That red light means check under them for stray cats because the mashing will commence. Hooking up the water revealed a couple of leaks- the line to the ice-maker, and a filter under the sink both of which had by-pass valves, thank goodness. The Central Air Conditioning was purring away and then quit. Out came the manual and the breakers were found. Flip, nothing, flip nothing. Wait, wait, Flip... nothing. I could see a big wad of cash burning up on this trip and I was in the the "slough of despond." (a quotation for you literate Christians). Sell this thing! But I later messed around and found the breakers were not at all like the ones on my Class C motor home and needed a BIG reset. (No, I did not use my foot for this operation) I LOVE the "Fair Elante" once again. She looks a little tired next to the $500,000.00 rig beside us but she holds her age pretty well. She is just right for us...not everything works all the time but we get by.

I spent a little time in Soccoro looking for old family sites. No luck because there is a lot of "vintage" housing in this town. Will try to look up the pictures on my traveling hard drive and see if I can do detective work. My great great, grandmother is buried here as are some of her kids.

I had a great time in the Refuge with my camera. I will go again tomorrow- I am going to stay here another day. At $17.50 a day and room for the doggies to run and still more settling in to do, this seems like a good idea.