Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, February 18, 2005

A Bad Dress Rehearsal Means a Great Opening...we hope

Drove to Casper, WY to retrieve the fixed coach. Central Paint's body work looks pretty good. "Is that a new grill or not?" I paid for one. Rec-Vee's new light over the kitchen sink is dandy. Lou says the air horn compressor Central Paint installed doesn't shut off. This is verified by an obnoxious noise so I stop two blocks from Rec-Vee and prepare to pop the hood. The engine is running, the compressor is chattering away, and I find myself locked out! Three new sets of keys to avoid just this situation are in the change caddy in plain sight. Quickly hoof it back to Rec-Vee where the services of Jack the locksmith are enlisted via phone. Hoof it back. Here comes Jack. He picks the lock in less than 10 seconds, I part with $30.00. He offers free advice on where to hide a key. Passkey is now on my wrist, clanking on the keyboard.

On the way in to Casper I stopped at V-I Propane to see if they could fill up a motorhome. On the way out I pull in and they are too busy jawboning to wave. Displaying a too short hose the old boy suggests I go back down the Interstate and turn around and try again. I suggest I go somewhere else.

Try to fill up the gasoline at the Ghost Town Truck Stop. If I needed diesel I would have been fine but the gas islands are on a space-saving diagonal. Barely make it back on the highway-gasoline will wait 40 miles until Powder River where I know I will be extorted a premium for mid-grade. Idle in the gas lane for 15 minutes behind a deserted pickup in Powder River while some dude finishes his Snicker's Bar. Buy $30 worth of liquid gold to get me to Riverton. Gary Starbuck, an old friend emerges from the restroom so we visit for a few minutes. Good to see him. The owner/clerk: stoutish, sixtyish, female-ish, shouts out to a young oil field worker "Brian I have some Hot Mama juice for you!" He draws a blank, my jaw drops. "Didn't you want me to save you a jar of Hot Mama juice so you could make pickled eggs? she clarifies. He draws a blank. As I pull out Brian is returning. That's life here in West.

Home before dark was a pipe dream- the newly installed headlamps tend to pop the breaker on high beams. Exciting in the "Amityville Horror" sense of the word.

NOT a good day. 36 hours to get ready to depart. 72 hours worth of things to do. Does ANYTHING work right out of the box anymore?