Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The First Post from the Mobile Office Computer

I regularly send posts about 47,000 miles through the ether via Starband Satellite Modem. Where I live a 19kb dialup connection is a joyous event. There is no cable television so satellite was about the only path to broadband and it is a good service. It fostered my addiction to the World Wide Web. I looked into the emerging technology that allows mobile satellite connection but found it a little pricey: $5000.00 (O.K., a LOT pricey) for the install, plus a monthly fee which I pay already. So I checked into WiFi and that is growing by leaps and bounds but among a few free Hotspots are subscriptions. At a minimum Flying J and probably Boingo would cost $40.00 per month, depend on finding sites, and undoubtedly leave gaps in availability. RV campgrounds often charge $5.00 per day for wireless.

I decided to try an emerging service: Verizon Wireless Broadband. This HP Laptop has a Sierra/Verizon 5220 Aircard in a PCMIA slot. It is essentially "Internet by Cell Phone" In my remote valley neighborhood I still need an external antenna to reach "two bars." (Can you hear me now?) The Verizon digital coverage appears to be pretty good along the Interstates and highways and is excellent in Metropolitan areas-several of which are along my way. The speed is pretty decent here even with two bars. Not quite DSL but much faster than dialup. The reliability is excellent-no dropped calls. This service is also kind of pricey: about $150.00 for the card, after rebate, and $80.00 per month for unlimited use, but for me the potential reliability and convenience are worth the $40.00 or so difference. As usual Verizon wants to lock you in for a term but is flexible about service plans. When I am not on the road I will opt for a $40.00 per month metered plan. How will it work? That is one of the questions this Blog will attempt to answer. Was it easy to set up? Yes and no. More about that later..