Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Television and Progress

The Coach came with a Direct TV dish and receiver. There are some fancy antennas out there but this is a rapidly changing landscape. There is a "soon to be available" do-it-all Antenna. So I am going semi-high tech with a new Dish Network receiver (a special promotion for current subscribers: $50.00) and a tripod that I can aim when I settle someplace for a day or two. The "actual dishes" are interchangeable I discovered: Direct TV/ Dish Network/etc. In between times I have an amplified antenna for "off-air" television.

This is interesting to me because I used to be scornful of television antennas on motor homes. ("If you want to watch television, do it at home-don't waste a vacation watching the tube!") But there are certain offerings I like and after dark there is usually some time that begs for a little entertainment and "connectedness" to the larger world. There is a CD in the coach: "10,000 books." I am a great reading fan and there are a few paper books but they can add up weight and bulk in a hurry. I'll save them for the beaches and parks.

The dogs have been to the Vet and are progressing. We are going into heartworm country so we have those meds. While walking them and talking on the phone to brother Rich last night, I slipped on ice and fell on my Keister. Glasses flew, pitch dark, blood was flowing. Today, due to good first aid I am nearly fully functional. The right hand took some damage but the impact may have improved my aching back- go figure.

The Coach is repaired. Those good folks at Central Paint in Casper are even going to release it to Lou at Rec-Vee to fix the light over the sink and sundry other details. I will retrieve it tomorrow and finish packing. We will move in for a dry run for a couple of days. Departure Sunday!

My Postal Person/Mail Lady left the fowarding cards and said she would like to receive postcards. That is a big can-do! I am going to miss my Valley and the good people here but I know I am stale and need to do new things while I am, as my aunt Ruth says, "Not too creaky or too critical to enjoy it."