Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Global Positioning and Mapping

While Goody is my co-Pilot and Buster is Second Mate, the brains of the outfit is the Garmin iQue 3600. A gift from a son about 18 months ago, this device has become the single item that is a must-go. The Garmin talks to me, tells me when to turn, how fast we are going, where to buy gas, where to eat, how far we have come and yes, "When will we be there?"

When you are trying to keep 52 feet of vehicles in a line, stopping to read a map at a stop light is not possible or desirable. The signs on the Interstate often seem designed for the locals. A wrong turn in a rig this big can ruin a day. The Garmin maps magnify as you get close to a turn. No question is it exit A or B?- it is turn right here, left. "Exit right in point 5 miles," the stewardess says.

The new twist on my Garmin is the addition of an optional 1 gigabyte memory card. Most of the United States map is now loaded. A second, smaller card holds the rest. While Garmin's standard issue U.S. maps are pretty comprehensive, when I travel I want see the details and get on the byways. So we download the Detailed maps. Want to find a Pizza? Just ask the Garmin.

Preparing for an extended road trip also involved importing my Windows(c.) address book with names addresses, phone numbers, plugging birthdays into the calendar, and other vital information that is on paper at home. When you reach 'a certain age' on some days the short term memory can be measured in nanoseconds. Not to worry, most of the vital stuff resides in the Garmin for backup.

I'll be telling you more about this electronic marvel as we travel and use it 20 times a day.