Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, February 21, 2005

The Bon Voyage Party: the story

It was a merry chase getting ready to go in twenty-four hours but when I invited 20 people to a Bon Voyage party, I was working under the idea I would have the Coach four days sooner than I did. The Party was set and so was I- or was I? Great friends, under a "no gifts order" disobeyed and the results were touching and hilarious and useful. We had a chance to visit at a Sunday Brunch, have a coach tour and blow squawkers as the coach rolled out. I was late to my own party as the Goody dog decided she did not want to load up. She tried every trick in her considerable bag of tricks: "I am sleeping and can't wake up," and "Oh, let's take the van instead!" and when that wouldn't work she slipped her collar and headed for the house three times. All of which was distracting for the Captain of the Land Yacht.

Six miles outside of Riverton I thought of the Computer-HOME ready to load. There was nothing to do but drive to Shoshoni, unhitch the Jeep, and skulk the 38 miles back to the house and retrieve it. I was hoping against hope I would not run into any of my well-wishers and have to explain myself. Now they will know but I am in south Denver and the laughter probably won't reach to Cheyenne the way the winds were blowing today. ( I actually saw birds flying backward near Chugwater.) I am always happy to amuse the neighbors but this way I won't have to hear it.

On to Casper, WY for ANOTHER party with my brother Rich and his kids and friends. Fabulous dinner at the Red Lobster. More gifts. Camped at Wal-Mart and arrived in Denver this afternoon. Dinner with Cousin Donna at Elephant's Restaurant. Tropical and Exotic, in decor and cuisine a find- try it you will probably like it. Feasting from coast to coast has to Stop! More pictures tomorrow but I need to turn off the generator here in the Lakewood Albertson's Supermarket parking lot.