Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Abilene, Abilene, prettiest town I haven't yet seen..

Abilene, Texas was the goal but we are about 8 miles short of it at the Flying-J Travel Plaza. Verizon is still on extended network and I was wanting to stop as it has been pretty rainy since Midland, Texas. Kind of playing out on driving in the drizzle. NOAA Weather says tomorrow will be better so I may get a chance to actually see Abilene. We are connected to the WiFi at Flying-J, hunkered down for the night. Texas is a b-i-i-i-g state. It has it's own beauty but it also has a lot of industrial blight through Odessa and Midland. "Oil bidness blight:" lots of wells not pumping and rusting , tanks rusting, lots of vacant buildings along the road. But I saw some greenery and cotton fields, and alfalfa, too.

Had a nice visit with Lisa Kesler and her family. She brought books and goodies for the road- shouldn't have but I like them. I asked them to pick a place for me to buy them lunch and they introduced me to Cheddar's which is a great place. Healthy food, generous portions- nothing special to do with cheese that I could see. The Kesler's are making an adjustment back to life in the US of A. They are community and Church involved. Baseball tryouts today. Good to see them.

The doggies got their ears scratched by some kids and we had a couple of good walks before the rains came down. I think we are all ready for some serious ZZZ's. The change in altitude I think has something to do with it.

The CB is on and there is some "saucy banter" going on as well as the business of trucking. Kind of interesting to listen to.

And that's the news from Lake Go-we-gone.