Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's an ill wind that blows nobody good

Yesterday's winds were about as ill as they come. So I washed bedding and put it on the line- Oh my, is there anything nicer than sun dried, wind-blown bedding? I was glad to have taken my photo jaunt the day before because staying in yesterday was the smart thing to do.

Rich recounted his daughter Alicia's travails: She was feeling very ill so went to Denver University student health which sent her to Adventist Hospital where they diagnosed appendicitis, informed her they were the best facility for laparoscopic, minimal incision appendectomies. It was essentially out-patient; sent her home. She continued to feel lousy and had difficulty breathing so she went back. They put her in for overnight, pumped her full of antibiotics, treating her for pneumonia. The whole episode, they finally conceded was likely pneumonia. The removed appendix was enlarged but not inflamed. But they were very nice to her and since one hardly has a cause of action for an unnecessary removal of an unnecessary body part, it will stay where it is. I am just grateful their specialty wasn't breast reductions.

I am wading (slogging?) through Garry Wills, What the Gospels Meant. I can't shake an impulse to the spiritual. But I can't, either, turn off the logic circuits at the church door. I have spent a lot of time with Elaine Pagels and the Gnostic Gospels and even downloaded them (and read them) from a site in Scandinavia. (It has taken 50 years to get them out because they are explosive) I have read the King James Bible (hint-don't start at the front- the Begats will begetcha- sleepy), The Mormon Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price, most of the great Jewish tome of Maimonides, Eckanckar, the Siddhartha, Hegel, Leibniz, Tillich, Bertrand Russell, L Ron Hubbard, and many others. Perhaps the light will come on but I am increasingly of the opinion there are some well-intentioned, sincere, bullshit artists out there- about 5,000 years of them. (But don't worry, I had a"Conversion Experience" in Tucson when I was being romanced by Moral Rearmament in the 60's-before it became "Up With People" and they tried to save the world by singing, dancing and buying it a Coke.) My life makes me laugh sometimes but it has certainly been interesting-still is.

Miss Honey is growing like a weed- she is lanky- about the height of a 5 year old standing on her hinders. She is also very smart, and holds grudges. They went out about 5:30 and I zonked until 8:30 with them outside. She gave me the cold shoulder all day. She also helped herself to one of the toys Lori sent and since I take harmful things from her frequently, she hid the bunny. I finally found it and gave it to her so it was OK. She devils poor Buster and I am refereeing now. Poor old guy deserves a nap occasionally.

Went to town today and spent a ton- had gifts to buy and the Father's Day Sale at Radio Shack was calling. They had a turntable (records-remember those?) about $50 cheaper than any that I have found. It digitizes your old LP's puts them in your computer, and you can load your iPod or put them on a CD. It will do 45's and 78's as well. If I start yesterday, I may finish when I am 90 years old. I have over 3000 books and hundreds of records- what a lovely fire they will make.