Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Okeechobee in my Rearview Mirror

Okeechobee is a fair possibility. The drive out was no fun on Beeline Road. Lots of traffic and delay and crazy drivers. The storage yard looks good and is half the price of my current place which is six blocks away from here. The are RV parks every 5 feet along the strip I drove in Okeechobee. The drive back in on US 441 was less hassle but still had its problems. BUT ( and that is a big But-just like mine) the hassle for me and kids is daunting. Somebody would have to collect me to get me back to the Van. The next season would be the same. Richard and Donna have been calling with glowing weather reports from the west. Delores and Janet email about tulips popping up and so forth. Delores recounts our friend Jayne doing the same last minute frenzy earlier this year before she went back to West Virginia. It is probably a syndrome.

I got tricked last year and from what I read, we should hope for some wet sloppy storms this spring in Wyoming. I don't mind the spring storms but it seems we had them into June in 2006.

If I am going to develop a different plan it needs to start when I come down next year-not the final week. So I think it is time to suck it up and get ready to go. I have been thinking of the charms of home-my own good bed, my friends, my satellite TV and internet, the ease of shopping, my books, the trees leafing out. Always better to have things to look forward to. If I don't like the weather the car keys are close at hand. Las Vegas is a hard day's drive away and I will be going to Oregon in May and October as usual.