Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Bakers: Good neighbors

Christine and Chuck Baker neighbors, for a week. These folks have been full-timing it-traveling for 24 years! Chuck's dad left his family to pursue a life of gambling and drinking when Chuck was 18. So Chuck has worked as a farmer, a trucker and had a career at Kodak in Rochester, New York. He took a pension at 48, they sold out and have been on the road ever since. He is in his early 70's (older than dirt, he says) and Christine is younger. They make money on the road by selling ads for Campground guides such as I use here at John Prince. I took them as mentors-they know places and camping tricks and fun things to do. Mostly I like their attitude and know -how. Chris is a hard-working woman, an islet transplant person, whose diabetes has been helped by being in an experimental program. They have a dog (Dixie) and cat who thinks she is a dog but better. Great neighbors- I took them to dinner at Two Georges last night for a bon voyage. They network with their friends and play. Chris has a passion for horseback riding and Icelandic Ponies. She takes 15 day treks on both coasts. Chuck golfs, roller skates, rides bikes and chauffeurs the coach and Christine as she makes her rounds. Great stories-nice people-glad to have had the pleasure. Posted by Picasa