Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

All Systems Go

The epizootic has worked its way through the canines. There is a grass they like to eat here and I, as well as veterinary medicine, am ignorant as to whether eating grass is a cure or a cause. First Buster, then Goody. They are such good pups they let me know when they need to go and since they (almost) never pull false alarms we got through this without major mishap...lost sleep and in and out a lot but they were the ones suffering so I was glad to help. They seem to be over it although a little lethargic.

The Jeep problem turned out to be (a) bad battery cable(s). I told them to consider a tune-up because it was chugging and running raggedy. Carmine, the number two at Harvey's called me at one o'clock on Saturday and said they would need it until Monday, they close at two, but the cables were repaired. I said I needed it this weekend and would pedal over to pick it up. THAT was a brave thing to say. I made the 4 miles ( in traffic- walking across crosswalks) in a little less than 30 minutes. THAT was a great thing to do. I was proud of myself. Paid my $28.50, strapped the bike on the carrier and off I went. The Jeep is running like a clock. The battery cable was causing all of my grief.

Rode the bike twice today- just around the park. Ran into Mr. and Mrs. Fish- my first acqaintances here last year and visited with them. Unfortunately it was at their cocktail hour and she tends to want to talk OVER Ted but I did catch up on their grandkids and their doings. I still find them inspirational- 77 and still ripping and having a good time. I told them that. They told me of their park neighbor who is 90 and still driving an RV. That made me wince. But who knows maybe I will be doing that. This is a good place to learn about aging although to be fair there is a pretty good mix of ages. I'll go and take pictures of Ted's orchids one of these days.

Made a Wal-Mart run for some staples. Got one of those reel type leashes at PetsMart. That is a fun store. Buster ran me through a thicket earlier today. Thought this might be an improvement. It is. It exerts just enough pressure that the dog is reminded he is on a leash but can feel freer to roam a little.

The Jeep did just great.