Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, February 13, 2006

BRRR!

How can 45 degrees be cold? In Florida it is. Stayed in Sunday, watched the Olympics, took a needed nap and cozied up. Good winds, gray skies, just better to be in and drag out the clothes I started out in-warmies. Even ordered in-Lake Worth Pizza delivers good chicken parmigiana.

The Massachusetts neighbors left, and some from Maine moved in. Not trying to be nasty, but when the man told me the lady was his girlfriend it reaffirmed the belief that there is "somebody for everybody" if sufficiently motivated. I'll try to get a picture. There was something a little off kilter about the Massachusetts neighbors - a bundle of incongruities. I'm thinking drug running. But I may be working the imagination overtime- they were lovely people. Nice to me.

Got a call from "Cousin Jayne" returning a call I made to her niece in Boca. Jayne was snowed in the Mining Institute in West Virginia. She talked somebody into getting her a sandwich and a six pack of Coors Light and made herself at home in one of the guest rooms. I had called her niece trying to find storage for Ron Neihoff's camper after his heart attack. Too late for that but I have been considering storing my coach down here and driving something more economical and more nimble between the places. May have found a place.

Mike, the Coastal RV repair guy called-he had found my original note and wondered what was wrong with my refrigerator. I told him I had followed his advice and the refrigerator was working fine right now. Told him I thought I owed him some money and he said forget it. Not content with that good turn I asked him about RV storage places and he gave me a name. I rocketed over there to find slim pickings but and high prices but a brother operation in Okeechobee has space and low rent. This may be workable. I will run out there and look.

Today, Monday, has also been on the cool side but I did ride the bike twice- once around the park campground and once to the gatehouse. I labored this morning getting the payrolls out and paying the invoices. The mailman comes around 2:00 p.m. so I rushed through and pedalled over around 1:30. Decided to pay the rent for my final month which is due on the 15th. Lo and behold the estimable Lauretta, B.G. of J.P. Campground, figured me through March 26 adding 11 days to my maxed out stay. I said nothing and plunked down the credit card. It will probably be blistering hot by then and I will be regretting it but right now I am ecstatic. Extensions are common in March so I am not depriving anybody of a turn. With Jason and Lori heading off to Texas for Karla's wedding this weekend it was becoming clear that visiting times were in short supply. Maybe the gardening did help- Ted Fish told me it would. Now if the posies do not get nipped by frost...