Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Dark Skies

Heavy duty thunderstorms in the tropics last night and today. Not much sleep as Goody was semi-hysterical and kept trying to either sit on me or pant in my face.

I am reminded that this place is "service Hell." My refrigerator was slowly warming and after trying all I knew to do and the manual suggested, called Coastal RV who are O.K. usually. That was two and one half days ago. He just left and I have last-ditch procedures to follow before it is pronounced dead. I am hopeful. Of course that meant I was confined to quarters for two and one half days waiting for him.

On the way to Lori's birthday party I had decided, after some days of deliberation and looking at websites, that I would stop at a bike shop. I have been pretty faithful putting in my walking time but I confess it is getting boring to me. Virtually every senior in the park has a bike or trike or some adaptive machine. My last bike was a Wal-Mart special that lasted about 1500 feet. So I bought the hype and stopped at a cycle shop in Boynton to get the recommended "fitting" and professional advice. Bikes have really changed in some user-friendly ways and I was impressed with a Raleigh Venture. The shop owner told me I needed the extra large frame and I was readily convinced of that. He checked the inventory at the warehouse and said he would get it. Friday at noon was the appointed pickup time. He called Friday and said it wasn't ready...come at 5:00. So I did and dashed in the rain to find it was not the extra large and none of the accessories- basket and car carrier were ready. So I left empty-handed and stewed about it all night. Pretty nice chunk of change being expended and it was not what I expected. Called this morning and told him I wanted what I was promised or no-deal. We shall see what ensues by Wednesday. Besides it is raining- no bike riding for a few days anyway.

Raining so hard the satellite is down, Goody is panting and trying to get in my lap. I have a book.
That last lightning and thunderclap WAS a little close. Maybe I'll sit on Goody.