Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, January 23, 2006

New neighbors from the North

In their maiden voyage in a 2006 Roadtrek 210 (about $100,000 per copy) I found good French Canadian neighbors- I knew there had to be some. She is 60 and a delight-a translator for a prestigious pediatric hospital. He is also cheerful and engaged with the world -age 67, retired Pediatrician. We visited a few minutes yesterday and this evening I told them I was cracking open a half gallon of Bombay gin for tonics and why didn't they join me? Truth to tell I had about a half of one headstart as I had determined to have a drink and listen to the iPod and soak up the twilight rays. Gave me Dutch courage to ask. They did not have to be coaxed. Dianne was enamored of the iPod and the great tunes. So much in common-great kids, digital photography, bird watching/photographing, and of course the iPod tunes evoked common experiences growing up. I had on hand some chips and cheese and salsa so we had a grand time. Interesting stories. Kind, compassionate people. Beautiful evening to be out.

The Roadtrek is perfect for them- they like to move around the country and they are compact people. It is an amazing machine. About 15 miles to the gallon and it has everything- potty, air conditioner, two burner stove, sink, fridge, dinette,/beds and drives like a dream. I would be like Pooh Bear stuck in the hunny trap in the darn thing but it is an admirable piece of equipment.