Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Discovering downtown Lake Worth

Emerged from the crud and while still feeling spacey decided to act like I am alive this Saturday. I am in self imposed quarantine from the kids. Some things should not be shared. I visited with my neighbor for quite a spell. He had been a lineman for the local utility- he told me to keep that to myself. I had read enough to know that the city of Lake Worth owns the local power company and is constantly catching hell over it. My neighbor lives in Tennesse now but they were visiting kids and friends. Unfortunately they leave tomorrow. We travel a lot of the same territory. They are retired and pull their camper behind them. He has tricked it out cleverly. They have a 22 pound cat. He put a cat condo on the side. I enjoyed hearing his story.

Decided I was going to find the beach and started out. It was pretty easy but in one section I almost expected to hear that National Geographic narrator saying "the people of Guatemala are of short stature..."because it did look like a foreign country. Downtown Lake Worth is going to see more of me. Lots of little bistros and sidewalk cafes, boutiques and bookshops. Some of that "Miami Vice architecture," and some historic buildings as well as great landscaping create a style. Ample parking at the beach and a great cross section of humanity to gawk at. No more than 15 minutes from here. Resisted the fried food at the beach and stopped at an older shopping center that had some atmosphere and just about everything I needed to round out my whims: Chinese takeout, small Publix store, laundromat, Radio Shack, Subway, liquor store, bakery.

Travel is 'broadening." I have had to process my "reactions" on occasion. Finding myself sometimes in areas where my color, size and language, are in the minority causes some discomfort. I then try to realize that is how other people feel whan I am in "my element." Most people try to be nice most of the time. Has worked out fine so far.

Being out of my area I have had to show my driver's license and my credit card fairly often. The clerk at Publix said "Wyoming! I have had Germany, Quebec, and Wyoming today." That's me from the great country of Wyoming. Enjoying the great country of Florida.

Son Matt called as I was pulling into my drive. That kid gets into some of the most interesting deals. He was on his way to Bend on snow lined highways to do the announcing for one of those "caged, ultimate fighting" matches. He is also learning what every parent learns-mastering mixed emotions. Audrey has learned how to kiss and wants to lay a big smacker on everybody which he thinks is adorable. She also has a cold and runny nose. So it is "adorable with a gag factor."