Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Buzz

Things were buzzing in the air. The neighbors had the spray plane come for the annual weevil killing spree. It is fun to watch the plane as it dives and climbs, swoops and banks. On a completely different scale, with the enjoyable warmth comes the bugs. A mosquito was buzzing me at morning coffee and one was enjoying Honey's nose. With West Nile cases climbing in the county every year, I have declared war and got out the hose end sprayer and with Cutter killer/repellent in it, I doused the places we frequent the most. It seems to be effective but other measures must accompany this- inside at dusk and personal repellent.
Kristi's horse was added to the pasture. I saw her up close and personal at the branding and I don't think I have seen a prettier one in a long time. A beautiful color and her lineage is great: she comes from the Franks ranch and was being ridden by a 4 year old ( a four year old Franks kid-which means an accomplished rider). I whistled at her and she posed for me. Another beautiful part of my scenery.
My sons dutifully called the O.F. on Father's Day. Nice chats with both. Matt is getting around pretty well and pretty carefully and they were going to help some friends look at motorcycles. Jason and Lori went to her dad's side reunion in Texas a week ago and brought her dad and Annette back to Florida for a visit. They got the Lori treatment: Air boat ride in the Everglades and got scared by the gators, some good dining out, boat ride on the Intracoastal, a trip up to Okeechobee. Guess they had a great time- Mack's first visit to the kids.

The wedding music is a little up in the air. Had Alicia forward an email to Curtis who thought his responsibility was to bring his hard drive with all the music (he checks out CD's from the Denver Public Library and puts it on his computer- isn't that clever? No mention of speakers or computer or anything else so we have some research to do.

I was giving Honey a leash lesson down by the corral and Thayne came rolling in on his 4-wheeler. Honey took off suddenly and the leash went with her. The girl is strong when motivated. She sat like a good girl and we got to know Thayne and she accepted some treats from him and let him pet her. All good socialization.
Posted by Picasa