Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Wednesday and St. Paddy's Day

Rainy Days-but they are cooler days. Yesterday, I scouted out an Ace Hardware store because the wind knocked over my satellite dish and the arm broke. So I got some bolts and fixed it. Also decided the short old tripod was better so reassembled that. I have to get my creaky bones down on the ground to adjust it but that is better than fixing or buying new. The satellite is saving our sanity on this rainy day.

Also, Like a dutiful camper I checked the weather report and saw strong winds were forecast. So I tried to put my awning up. The Quebecois next door saw me struggling and offered to help. They could not get the release to work either so fetched their hammer. A couple of quick taps and a mighty SPROING! and the awning was useless. Mr. Fish to the rescue (You should have come to get me- they don't even speak English!) We rolled the awning up by hand. Found instructions to re-tension the springs on the Internet and Mr. Fish has done it but would rather not be responsible in the event of ruination. It is up and safe to be fixed later by a pro. I may do that before I leave here.

I am just not ready to leave and do not yet have a plan so I extended my stay to the 25th at which time the space is spoken for. So I must leave next Friday. Getting in here was a fluke this year and two area campgrounds are closing so I asked what the best strategy was: Come in December. As that was the plan for this year we will try that if the cost of gasoline doesn't make the whole thing prohibitive. And the wheels don't fall off the damn coach. I expected some things to shake out on the maiden voyage but this is starting to get annoying.

The thunderstorm was causing doggie anxiety so we had a dogpile on the couch and watched a Clint Eastwood movie- with the ape and the fighting and Jackson Hole. The thunderboomers are supposed to go away by 6:30 tonight but who knows. There was a sudden forecast revision as they arrived. Saw this morning that the Quebecois had things torn up and were drying things out so their camper must have a leak. Mr. Fish's vast knowlege also seems to have come by experience. These are not things discussed in Trailer Life Magazine.

I did get a few snaps during blue patches yesterday. I will post those. Meanwhile, we are warm and dry and well enough provisioned. Rich called and was making his way home from Douglas, WY and had been through blinding rain, snow and dust storms. He started Corned Beef and Cabbage this morning- a first for him and I hope it turns out. Would like to share it with him.