Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Campground Life- Doo,dah, doo, dah

Another day at home getting things worked out, figured out, messed up and put back together. Mr Fish, my neighbor, caught me out with the dogs at 6 a.m. He was out for a walk. Buster will tolerate the leash but he is not productive so 10 p.m. and 6 a.m under cover of darkeness we walk. Others stretch the rule a bit. There is a couple with a pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks who unleash and play.

In an attempt to fend off the heat I decided to unfurl the awning. (Jason says this is summer weather, not typical.) Mr. Fish helped me with the awning before he and his wife left for the beach. He snorkels, she chats people up I am sure. The awning did knock a good five, maybe more, degrees off the interior temperature. Nobody uses their air conditioner. Mr. Fish says the juice in the park is a little on the low side and a sure way to shorten your compressor's life.

The awning provided shade as I set up a new tripod for the Satellite dish. The first time is the worst time, I hope. The rig came with a meter but I kept finding the wrong satellites, and Bill DeMille's nephew, the electronic genius, had wired the thing so that any number of combinations of switches can be thrown to work off VCR, Satellite, or antenna. Which is just wonderful if you know the right combination. This was an off and on project all day long. Success by dusk. I am grateful to be beyond the insipid local programming and news. Watching a cowboy movie.

News from home in the form of e-mails, 9 degrees above 0, snow, blizzard. Maybe if I drive to Mississippi I can find a happy medium. It is 79 degrees at 10:30 p.m. in Lake Worth. A little ccoler than last night when I decided to take a tepid shower at about this time. The bathhouse is great. Individual shower/ dressing rooms, clean restrooms and quite a unique feeling for me to be strolling down the lane in my walking shorts and a towel at 10:00 p.m. Really quite nice to be strolling in the moonlight after a shower.

Jason called and invited me to go along to Fort Lauderdale to a restaurant. I declined for cause of a drive at night and Lori's brother's time here is short-he deserves his sister's and Jason's undivided attention for a day or two. It was nice to be asked, though.

Cuz Donna called and she is going to see cousin Eddie in Overton, NV over spring break.

Tomorrow or Thursday I will take a trip to the Loxahatchie Wildlife Refuge. Mr Fish says it is worth the trip. Good to have an experienced camper for a neighbor.