Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Fair Weather, Friends and Busy Day

The rain went North. A pleasant day- a bit windy in the early morning. The Ohio neighbors packed it in and headed for Ocala where they will visit and watch some motorcycle races. They were very nice people. I am glad we spent a little time together. I gave them some pictures and some plates and pop-I was reduced to buying Pepsi before I finally located some Cokee in Pahokee.

Somewhere, somehow, my left rear fender skirt took a whack from something-I know not how or when. So I had some repairing to do. It took a trip to the hardware store for drill and screws, and plumber strap for a makeshift brace. Already had 100 mile an hour tape and duct tape. I made a pretty good repair, I believe, and it does not reek of "reservation repair" if you know what I mean. An eventual replacement item but I don't have six weeks to wait for parts like I had to last time. They have obviously been worked on before-Bill DeMille said a blowout knocked this one completely off before when I asked about a mended place. Perhaps a design flaw or a road hazard or a nut loose behind the steering wheel.

Spent some time at Milo Doebler's, next door. His coach was custom designed for his handicap and is a dandy. To boot his mother, Fern, has macular degeneration so he has a magnifying reader. She had used it to write a letter to somebody. Looked a good job to me. We compared notes on genealogy and his techniques using Paintshop Pro. His pictures of course invited discussion and I enjoyed looking at them. I love hearing people's stories.

Gussied up a bit and Jeeped off for Palm Springs to meet up with Jason and Lori. They sweetly offered to haul me back here to make negotiating the traffic to John Prince campground easier tomorrow. Jason bought dinner at Park Avenue Barbecue and we made little piggies of ourselves- corn fritters and BBQ samplers of deeeelicious ribs and pulled pork, beef, chicken and trimmings. Had plenty to go in the go- boxes and the doggies benefited from mine. A very nice time and they showed me some alternative routes to the future campsite. They are considerate of the old guy.

The NPR stations here feature a lot of classical music and the bedroom stereo has been on 24/7. Very pleasant background music for the vistas of Lake Okeechobee. Buster seems to gravitate to it. Who knew the reservation dog was a poet?

These off-road days have allowed us all to recharge our batteries and the Coach is starting to feel like home with favorite places, little routines, and the unraveling of all of her intricacies. We will have good memories of this place even though our opinion of Pahokee, the city, is lower than catfish doo-doo. The brave souls who stick it out deserve an award. Perhaps that is what visitors to my neck of the woods think. hmmm.