Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Lunch in Lake Worth with a charming Woman

Pahokee is about 90 minutes from Jason and Lori in Boca Raton. This is a little far but was the best I could find. Lori located a county operated RV park in Lake Worth which is about fifteen miles from Boca. Jason made reservations but because I was booked in here non refundable I changed them and was really wanting to see how I could approach the park in a city and what the layout was. So I Jeeped in and Lori and I met at John Prince Park about 11:00 a.m. GOOD THING! They had me assigned to a too short space and in 2008. We scouted the park and braced the formidable Loretta. She was finding nothing on the sites we knew would fit. Lori played good cop with her-turned on the southern charm. Loretta was saying one of them was booked until the 15th and a man behind us said "That is my spot and I am leaving Friday." So we were in! We will be there through the 21st.

We scouted the approaches and decided we were workable. Then we went to the Olive Garden for a great lunch. Lori is a delight. Excellent company. I got insight into their busy lives. People like to come to Florida. Lori's brother and his girlfriend will be in town next week. Their friends Arlen and Stephanie and child and nanny will be in town the next weekend and some other friends are on their way. I am glad to know so I can plan accordingly and being in closer will allow me some urban exploration time.

Lori brought my mail.

I got back to Pahoke about 3:00 and the gas man drove up to deliver propane to my neighbor Milo who was also away for the day so I paid for his propane. We have gotten to know each other. He is a paraplegic for more than 40 years, had a career with GTE and is traveling with his 94 year old mother and a Yorkie. His van and motorhome are equipped with hand controls and elevators. He does it all. He is also a genealogist and has scanned the family pictures and likes computers. I loaned him my computer so he could test the aircard internet service while I was away. The other neighbor was out of small change and needed propane too so I loaned him some money. I am sure I will get it back in both cases but Milo and his mom are seriously overdue so I am getting a little worried about them, Propane is $2.75 a gallon here. Yikes!

Spent the afternoon, puttering-still getting things fixed just the way experience and convenience dictate. Yayy Velcro!

I am seriously thinking of jettisoning the Jeep. I am suspicious the extra load strained the transmission. Bill Demille, the man I bought the rig from said he towed his Cadillac with it but that too may have put a strain on it. Jason would kind of like to have a Scuba diving vehicle so we are discussing options. Having a vehicle here to use when I am in the area would be a better arrangement than hauling it all over, also. As Wal-Marts meet most of my shopping needs as well as accomodations in transit, the tow car might be redundant. Hmmm, mull, mull, mull.

Just walked the doggies and the wind is blowing up whitecaps and pretty good waves here on Lake Okeechobee. Spray on the legs. Milo's lights are on and his Van is here so that is a relief. Watching the tube, with one eye, listening to NPR with one ear and typing with three or four fingers. We are cozy and in for the night. Calls from Jason and Richard. Good to hear their voices.