Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, April 14, 2006

From Technicolor to Sepia

From Technicolor land to Sepia land has felt like visual deprivation but these warm, if windy, days are gradually coaxing some green out of lawns and the prairie. It is nice to see Spring arriving. I have been busy. The de-junking continues- three bags a day is the goal but a lot remains. The businesses have required attention. The "modular office" that travels with me after the downsize from coach to van works well. It carried into the dining area in three trips and set up easily.

Still no flowing water but my old well works and I have been using buckets. Not convenient nor very luxurious but functional. The plumbing needed some attention anyway. I am looking for a worker to retrofit it. I will do the house like a motorhome. There will be a quick-connect and valves so the pipes can be "blown" and the house winterized. I am nearly done with the "design" phase. I am contemplating an alternative 12 volt electrical system as well. "Greening" a little as well as preparing for eventualities. Energy costs are skyrocketing. I do not enjoy paying them nor this government. The Indian Health Service has been out of money for most of last year and the U.S. is spending a billion dollars a day trying to subdue another tribal culture. I hear Bob Dylan singing "When Will We Ever Learn"- wait... that is my iPod!

The pups are doing well. Goody is looking well and alert. Buster is a little bored. He wants to go all the time.

Have had the crockpot bubbling for a week or so. "Copywriter's Stew" starts out fairly conventionally but is augmented every couple of days with new ingredients. Started over yesterday with baby lima beans and ham. Can't decide whether to head to Italy or Mexico with it.